Looking to the Future, Caring for the Past
St Mary the Virgin, Weston-on-the-Green. Listed Grade II*
Shortlisted for The Presidents Award 2016 (Re-orderings, alterations and extensions)
The church of St Mary the Virgin, Weston-on-the-Green was first consecrated in 1273. It consists of an 18th century Nave with a tower at the West end, believed to have elements dating from 13th century. In 1564 the church was re-roofed and the pews replaced. In 1743 the church was substantially remodelled by Norreys Bertie in an Italianate style. The original Chancel, of which a scar can be seen externally at the East end, was demolished in the early 19th century.
Footprint available: 4 x 4 metres.
Facilities added: DDA toilet with baby changing, kitchenette, vestry and storage.
Additional requirements: Redecoration and plaster repairs within the Nave.
Special features: 17th century boss and Victorian painted banner, discovered during the works, were incorporated into the project.
A new oak screen was inserted in the arch - the font was left in its existing location with enough room for a wheelchair to get past.
A new upstairs vestry was created with a stairwell open to the tower window, allowing it to be viewed and appreciated.
The existing stone floor was retained in all ground floor areas.
**Work carried out while working for GBS Architects